Sunday 16 September 2012

Yoga For Kids

First graders need a LOT of movement breaks, especially at the beginning of the year. It often feels like I have them up moving every 32 seconds so that they are ready to focus. I know it is longer, but sometimes it feels that way! After we move around, the students are ready to focus and work. But every once in a while, we get up and move and they become noisier and sillier than they were before!
That is when I get out my yoga cards. I get a student leader to pick 3-4 of the exercises and we quietly do them as a class. After doing the poses, the kiddos lay down and I turn off the lights. Sometimes I play music, sometimes I do a guided relaxation and sometimes THERE IS ABSOLUTE SILENCE!!! I find that once we have completed these cards, we are ready for the learning to begin again.


 Sometimes I let the leader make up their own actions to go with the cards, and other times I have them follow these direction cards to show the class.
I love using doing these activities for our daily physical activity time. It doesn't need much space, it calms the students down and they love it! If you want to do Yoga in your class, click the picture below to get your own Yoga cards!

Mrs. Dunn
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment