Monday 20 May 2013

Urban and Rural

Sometimes I find Social slightly challenging to make... enticing shall we say... to the students. It usually depends on the topic and their experience with it, but making some things relatable to a six year old when they have never seen it before can be a challenge. I am trying to mix it into other subject areas, such as art, to achieve this. Our latest and greatest topic is centered around urban and rural. Of course we have discussed, read stories, made charts, watched videos but I wanted to tie everything together with a fun art project to go into our Social Alphabet book.

U is for Urban. In the city I can see...
Here is the art project: We painted the sky in yellow and red swirls and then glued the silhouetted buildings onto it. Next time I think I will have the students add other things we find in the city, but we are just plain running out of time!!
R is for Rural. In the country I can see...
We used straws and painted half the page blue dots and half the page with green dots.

Then the students picked an animal and made it out of these shapes.





Here is an example of what the project looked like when completed


Mrs. Dunn

4 comments:

  1. Cute!! I love the animal template...that could be used for so much :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the GREAT ideas. I am busy making some animals from the shapes right now. So glad you shared!!

    ReplyDelete